Spousal Support

Spousal maintenance is payment from one ex-spouse to the other after they are divorced. The avowed purpose of spousal maintenance, or alimony, is to maintain the economic status of the two parties as it existed during the marriage. In Alabama, spousal maintenance can be decided by the couple or it can be imposed by the court.

Spousal Maintenance Is Not a Right

Spousal support must never be assumed. Courts decide whether to award money, and how much, on a case-by-case basis. The person paying the money is called the "supporting spouse," and the recipient of that money is known as the "dependent spouse."

The payment itself may be temporary or permanent. Another name for temporary alimony is rehabilitative alimony. Rehabilitative alimony is money paid to help the ex-spouse to become self-supporting. Permanent spousal maintenance, or alimony, is usually awarded to individuals who seem unlikely to obtain employment, and it is paid until death or until the order is modified.

Alabama Spousal Maintenance Attorney

The court considers many different factors when calculating spousal maintenance. Some of these factors include age, general health, how well the couple was living before they got divorced, how long they were married and whether the ex-spouse will be able to re-enter the workforce.

Our divorce lawyer, Shane Oncale, is an experienced, ethical professional who will give you a candid assessment of your prospects and keep you up to speed on developments in your case. We are here for you. We will work tirelessly to ensure a prosperous future for you and those close to you.

Contact Our Law Firm Today

Spousal maintenance agreements can impact your economic picture for many years. If you are facing a spousal maintenance or alimony decision, contactThe Oncale Firm today. We have been part of hundreds of spousal support decisions over the years, and we have negotiated or litigated agreements in Birmingham that have allowed both sides to go forward and enjoy life again.

Lawyer Shane Oncale is an experienced spousal support attorney. Call The Oncale Firm at 205-458-9805 to arrange a free consultation.

Contact Us for a Free Consultation
phone number