The Strength You Need In Adversity Empowering People & Their Families

Helping you resolve life's challenges to get you to a better place.

Biological mother wants child custody of her son

Whether you live in Alabama or elsewhere, child custody disputes can quickly become heated. Child custody issues are difficult to solve between two biological parents. What happens when someone who isn’t biologically related to a child fights for custody?

A woman has been fighting for custody of her 6-year-old son for the last four and a half years. Her son has been living with a man since he was born who is not his real father. The man says she gave up the child willingly. However, the mother claims he somehow had his name placed on the young boy’s birth certificate and then left with the new baby.

A Texas court previously removed the man’s name from the boy’s birth certificate, but a juvenile court in Tennessee, where the man lives, has refused to acknowledge that decision. However, the Tennessee Court of Appeals says the juvenile court must now acknowledge the ruling made in Texas.

Although acknowledging the decision made in Texas gives the mother a better chance at receiving custody, both the mother and the man who has cared for the young boy say they are willing to share custody. However, neither one can decide how much time the 6-year-old boy should spend with the other.

This child custody case is quite complex. However, as with all child custody cases, it is often wise to make a decision based off of what is in the best interests of the child. A child, after all, did not choose to place themselves in a child custody dispute. It is, therefore, up to the adults to determine the best situation for the child.

Source:, “Custody fight over Maryville boy continues,” Sheila Burke, May 17, 2012